Patterns

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Christmas Stars

I got so many compliments on the stars I decided to share the pattern.  The only down side is that I don't know where you'll find the plastic crystals but any bead around the same size will do.  They work really well as Christmas Tree ornaments as well as sun catchers.

Christmas Stars by Vicki Clarke

Supplies
Thread- size 10 red or green wound CTM with ball
2 paperclips
Crochet hook
Beads as used in picture-
Center- 15mm hexagon plastic crystal
15 4x4 Miyuki cubes
15 Size 10 seed beads added onto the ball thread
Comment:  This is a pretty forgiving pattern. You can change thread size or beads without much problem. For example, you can also use size 20 thread with a 13mm center and 6/0 Miyuki beads.  I have also added beads to some of the lock joins to add more bling.

Short Terms
Ls- lock stitch, 1st half unflipped 2nd half flipped
Lj- lock join, use shuttle thread to pull up loop and put shuttle through loop
3b- pull up three beads from the ball thread to make a beaded picot

Start: pull loop through crystal and hold using paperclip ls

Round 1
*Pull loop of shuttle thread through cube and hold with paperclip
Ch 8 lj to space held by paper clip* repeat 4X
Once you’ve added 5 beads then lj to space held by 1st paperclip (loop through crystal)
Repeat from * to * 5 X lj to space below 1st ls

Round 2
* Ch 8
pull loop of shuttle thread through cube and hold with paperclip
Ch 4 3b 4 lj to space held by paperclip
Ch 8 lj to space between 2nd and 3rd cubes on round 1* (make this lock join around both threads, not just the ball thread)
Repeat 4x, each joining to the space between every other cube i.e. 4&5, 6&7, 8 & 9, 10 & 1 to give you 5 points.  Tie and cut

4 comments:

  1. I'll give it a go! - no nice plastic crystals in this neck of the woods, but I found some gaudy sequins the right size - they'll sparkle! I thought I'd put two together, back-to back, to give a bit more stability - there are heaps in the little packet I bought this morning.
    Thanks so much for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are awesome! Thank you for you generosity in sharing the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I MUST comment on your recent posts.

    The covered chocolate box (Nov.30) is SO fabulous! I did ask if that was your own pattern, but I'm sure you were too busy making a gazillion red stars to answer! It's just gorgeous!

    Then there are the red - and green - stars! How wonderful of you to share the pattern. I can't wait to make it! An amazing photo of all of them on that table! I can't believe how many of you 'crazy' tatters make so many of these little 'gifts' for people, and even take orders! And most of you also have full-time jobs. Amazing.

    And also - the cute butterfly on the tree. Have you shown that one before?
    I'm quite boggled by all your tatting AND patterns! I have yet to make your beautiful and now classic ruffled heart. It's on my list!

    Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete

Anyone out there? Say hi if you are......