Patterns

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Packaging

There's no pictures to share today instead I'm taking a moment to muse about packaging. You know, the stuff that comes around the stuff we give, receive or buy. There's something special about a nicely packaged object. I know that I have been persuaded to buy something stupid just because the packaging was cool. Many companies invest a lot of time and money into packaging so there must be something to it.
Why am I thinking about something so mundane? Well, I made some snowflakes, stiffened them (probably for the first time ever) and they looked pretty hanging up. Then I had a thought- would they look so pretty if I gave them in a plain old envelope? If I just hand them to someone without packaging the snowflakes are likely to get lost or dirty before they hit the Christmas tree. I need some sort of packaging but the plain envelope hides them and Ziploc bags just don't do it for me.
So I thought about it for a bit...
Aha! Guess what I have: self-sealing plastic bags! I stuck a snowflake in each one and I am amazed by how much the presentation is improved by a bit of plastic. I feel like its something you get from a candy shop. I think I'll add a ribbon and a gold sticker. Does this make the tatting more valuable? more worthwhile? No, but it might make someone else feel that it is.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean. I've put some in small round frames but that does tend to make them too heavy for a tree unless they are lightweight. The ones I have are actually photo-holding ornaments. Won't hold a very big snowflake but it does show off a small one. I also like to put them in small boxes or tins with tissue paper backing. I also tie them on cards with a ribbon. I have a tiny hole punch that is usually just big enough to thread a very narrow ribbon through.

    ReplyDelete

Anyone out there? Say hi if you are......